Friday, January 21, 2011

Waking

[from José Luis Borges’s El Otro, El Mismo, 1964]

Waking

The light comes slow, an ascent
from dreams to the mutual dream
where things regain their seemly
& usual place & present
melds with the vague past,
overwhelming & vast:
the secular migrations
of bird & man, the legions
spoiled by carnage,
Rome & Carthage.
Also comes the daily history:
my voice, my face, my fear, my luck.
Ah, if death, that other waking,
would grant me time without memory,
my name & all I’ve been!
Ah, such morning would be oblivion!



El despertar

Entra la luz y asciendo torpemente
De los sueños al sueño compartido
Y las cosas recobran su debido
Y esperado lugar y en el presente
Converge abrumador y vasto el vago
Ayer: las seculares migraciones
Del pájaro y del hombre, las legiones
Que el hierro destrozó, Roma y Cartago.
Vuelve también la cotidiana historia:
Mi voz, mi rostro, mi temor, mi suerte.
¡Ah, si aquel otro despertar, la muerte,
Me deparara un tiempo sin memoria
De mi nombre y de todo lo que he sido!
¡Ah, si en esa mañana hubiera olvido!

No comments:

Post a Comment