Friday, January 14, 2011

Trowbridge Street

[from Octavio Paz’s Return, 1969-1975]

Trowbridge Street

1

Sun inside the day
                              Cold inside the sun
Empty streets
                       parked cars
Still no snow
                     but wind wind
Stil burning
                     in the frozen air
a small red tree
I talk to it to talk to you

2

I’m in a room abandoned by language
You are in another identical room
Or both of us are
in a street that your looking has emptied
The world
imperceptibly dissolves
                                       Memory
collapsed beneath our feet
I’m stopped in the middle of this
unwritten line

3

Doors open & close by themselves
                                                        Air
enters & leaves our house
                                         Air
talks to itself to talk to you
                                             Nameless
air in the endless hall
I don’t know who is on the other side
                                                             Air
turns & turns in my empty skull
                                                    Air
turns air touches everything
                                             Air
with air-fingers dissipates what I say
I’m air you don’t see
I can’t open your eyes
                                    I can’t close the door
The air’s turned solid

4

This hour has the shape of a pause
The pause has your shape
You have a fountain’s shape
not water but time
On the tip of the spray
bits of me jump
what I was      what I am      what still I am not
My life weighs nothing
                                      The past thins
The future is some water in your eyes

5

Now you have the shape of a bridge
our room navigates under your arches
From your terrace we see ourselves pass
In the wind you waver more light than body
On the other bank the sun grows
                                                      backward
Its roots sink in the sky
We could hide in its foliage
With its branches build a bonfire
The day is habitable

6

Cold has immobilized the world
Space is glass
                       Glass is air
The slightest sounds build
sudden sculptures
The echo multiplies & scatters them
Perhaps it will snow
The burning tree trembles
already surrounded by night
Talking to it I talk to you

No comments:

Post a Comment